Commander Challenge

Ok so this isn't what I promised but that is coming....

How to make my commander experience fun! 


So I'm not a massive commander fan, it's got silly.. I'm not a fan of 4/5+ hour games where it's all about who can convince who to do what. Magic is a skill testing amazing game and Commander for me in my area has some good players but vastly it seems to me something I'd only want to indulge with friends or when it's put into a more competitive environment forcing players to stop being silly. That would work for me. 

Don't get me wrong, I've had some great commander games, but generally the best place to play commander is somewhere private, not public. For me it's like having a few mates together and you can gang up a bit on the gobbiest of the lot and then feel sorry for them and betray the person you first were in cahoots with! all that sounds cool right? I guess that's the silly part of commander, but perhaps I prefer not to leave my house or my mates house to have those kind of games, So anyways it's time to inject something fun for me into the game, so I made.... Blingmander. 

Jon Welfare, perhaps the one of the coolest commander player going in my area, is embarking on a challenge I've set the both of us. The guy respects the game, doesn't like games which are going nowhere and doesn't seem to be stuck in some kind of AEther of single games of commander for a whole night. I also don't play against Jon as much as I'd like so that was part of the idea.

We're both traders and collectors of interesting things so the rules are as follows. Commander rules apply, but every card in the deck must be A) Foil (premium, shiney, etc) and B) M15 and Beyond (new new boarders)

The decks will start out crap and over time they will get powerful, plus provide us with incentives to trade.

So I may not enjoy every game of commander and when everyone starts basically helping each other out and stopping people from dying etc, I can just sit there and look at my foils and think.... they look pretty. :P 

I'll start with the decklist...

General: Child of Alara

Smokestack
Mardu Banner
Dragon Throne of Tarkir
Avalanche Tusker
Abzan Guide
Efreet Weaponmaster
Mardu Charm
Snowhorn Rider
Abzan Ascendancy
Fracturing Gust
Ponyback Brigade
Warden of the Eye
Sultai Charm
Abomination of Gudul
Mindswipe
Mantis Rider
Siege Rhino
Bear's Companion
Longshot Squad
Tuskguard Captain
Hooting Madrills
Siege Wurm
Elvish Mystic
Hornet Nest
Shaman of Spring
Rattleclaw Mystic
Hydra Broodmaster
Sultai Flayer
Feed the Clan
Heir of the Wilds
Fated Intervention
Font of Fertility
Kin-Tree Warden
Siege Dragon
Arrow Storm
Kird Chieftan
Aggressive Mining
Burning of Xinye
Decree of Annihilation
Chandra, Pyromaster
Bloodsoaked Champion
Virtue's Ruin
Living Death
Nightfire Giant
Murderous Cut
Singing Bell Strike
Jeskai Elder
Soul of Ravnica
Cancel
Treasure Cruise
Prognostic Sphinx
Disdainful Stroke
Icy Blast
Feat of Resistance
Defiant Strike
Terminus
Avacyn, Guardian Angel
Cataclysm
Herald of Anafenza
Smite the Monstrous
High Sentinels of Arashin
Evoling Wilds
Windswept Heath
Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
Tranquil Cove
Blossoming Sands
Bloodfell Caves
Dismal Backwater
Scoured Barrens
Frontier Bivouac
Mystic Monastery
5 Plains
5 Island
6 Swamp
5 Mountain
11 Forest

So as you can see the deck is crapola and over time a rhyme and reason will come...

For now I'm concerntrating on cycles of cards, in particular...

M15 buddy cards (get's +1/+1 if you control X Basic Land)
Banners
Cycle of Tri-Colour Clan Morphs
Cycle of Dual Color Tapped Life Lands
Cycle of Tri-Colour Lands
Cycle of Fetchlands
Cycle of Clan Charms
Cycle of Planeswalkers
etc













Comments

  1. Well I just got back from my first game playing against this deck, and I really enjoyed the games and the deck. It feels a lot like a control deck that wants to stabilise and play bombs, and it's nice to see a five colour deck embracing all it's colours and synergising around that aspect of it's construction
    At some later point I will write a comment about the thought processes that went into the deck I'm playing, but for the moment here is the decklist for comparison.

    Commander (1)
    Vacant :( (BUG)

    Creatures (29)
    Abomination of Gudul
    Alpine Grizzly
    Chasm Skulker
    Child of Night
    Elvish Mystic
    Gravedigger
    Icefeather Aven
    Indulgent Tormentor
    Jeskai Windscout
    Kheru Bloodsucker
    Kheru Dreadmaw
    Krumar Bond-Kin
    Lord of the Pit
    Ornithopter
    Phytotitan
    Prophet of Kruphix
    Rotting Mastodon
    Runeclaw Bear
    Sagu Archer
    Satyr Wayfinder
    Shaman of the Spring
    Shambling Attendants
    Siege Wurm
    Sultai Scavenger
    Sultai Soothsayer
    Tuskguard Captain
    Undergrowth Scavenger
    Welkin Tern
    Whirlwind Adept

    Artifacts (3)
    Cranial Archive
    Dragon Throne of Tarkir
    Sultai Banner

    Enchantment (6)
    Caustic Tar
    Debilitating Injury
    Encrust
    Font of Fertility
    Sultai Ascendancy
    Verdant Haven

    Instants/Sorceries (24)
    Aetherspouts
    Bitter Revelation
    Blinding Spray
    Cancel
    Dead Drop
    Dig Through Time
    Fated Intervention
    Feral Incarnation
    Flesh to Dust
    Force Away
    Hydrosurge
    In Garruk’s Wake
    Naturalize
    Peel from Reality
    Rakshasa’s Secret
    Restock
    Rite of the Serpent
    Savage Punch
    Scout the Borders
    Set Adrift
    Sign in Blood
    Sultai Charm
    Throttle
    Virtue’s Ruin

    Land (37)
    Dismal Backwater
    Evolving Wilds
    Polluted Delta
    Tomb of the Spirit Dragon
    Basic Land x33

    ReplyDelete
  2. The deck worked better than I thought it would!

    Awesome games John!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Streets of Rage 2 and working.

State of Judging - Burnt, OUT!