Rally the Ally - Mardu Allies Tweaking

I'm a brewin' 

- Mardu Allies -


Okay, so the original deck went through some playtesting against Jeskai Black and Tutelage.. It came out pretty favorably in both games. But more testing against the Jeskai Black deck is needed I think!
(22 Allies)
3x Zulaport Cutthroat
4x Kalastria Healer.
4x Lantern Scout.
3x Drana, Liberator of Malakir.
3x Munda, Ambush Leader.
3x Chasm Guide.
1x Resolute Blademaster.


(15 Spells)
3x Wild Slash
2x Kolaghan's Command.
3x Crackling Doom.
2x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor.
1x Muderous Cut.
4x March from the Tomb.


(23 Lands)
4 Ally Encampment
4 Shambling Vents
4 Bloodstained Mire
3 Mardu Outpost
2 Mountain
2 Swamp
2 Battlefield Forge
2 Caves of Koilos

On intial thoughts I think I need another land in the deck, was stuck on 3 and 4 lands when I needed to be on 4 or 5 mana for a while in some games.. Could just be variance making things a bit squiffy because it's played 5 games, or I could do with another land?

The Allies seem good, really underestimated the Zulaport Cutthroat and Kalastria Healer. I may have to add a 4th Cutthroat based on how the deck played.

It feels correct to drop the Resolute Blademaster despite my initial thoughts of using him as a power win con on the turn he drops or resurrected with March from the Tomb. Maybe 5x spells at 5 mana (Cut doesn't count) is too much with no green in sight? I'm not sure, Stormbreath Dragon made it in a lot of Mardu and was paired up with Sarkhan for a while?

The mana base seems O.K but constructed mana bases are a struggle for me to work out when I'm not net-decking. I may go +1 Mardu Outpost at somestage.

How does this deck deal with G/W Megamorph is what I would like to know.. I may have to set up some test benching with it on the weekend and see if it's remotely competitive against the new powerhaus. I'm wondering if there is a powerful mass-exiling from the graveyard card knocking about somewhere to upset the Den Protector/Deathmist combo.

Here's an update to the decklist...

(22 Allies.)
4x Zulaport Cutthroat. (+1)
4x Kalastria Healer.
4x Lantern Scout.
3x Drana, Liberator of Malakir.
3x Munda, Ambush Leader.
3x Chasm Guide.
(dropped Resolute Blademaster.)


(14 Spells.)
2x Wild Slash. (-1)
2x Kolaghan's Command.
3x Crackling Doom.
2x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar. 
1x Sorin, Solemn Visitor.
1x Muderous Cut.
4x March from the Tomb.


(24 Lands.)
4 Ally Encampment.
4 Shambling Vents.
4 Bloodstained Mire.
3 Mardu Outpost.
2 Mountain.
2 Swamp.
3 Battlefield Forge.
2 Caves of Koilos.

(15 Sideboard.)
3 Rending Volley.
Hits Ojutai, Mantis Rider, Jace VP, Stratus Dancer, Hidden Dragonslayer, Wingmate Roc, seems solid! 
3 Radiant Flames.
Wipe the board and use March to bring our guys back. Looks well placed with the G/W Megamorph, Atarka Landfall & Jeskai decks that are out there. 
2 Deflecting Palm.
Works against the Atarka Landfall 'Go-BIG!' creatures, it's a card I've liked for a while and would like to try using in standard, get a feel for how it plays in this format. 
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor.
Comes in if I need some more lifelink and decent against control.
2 Self-Inflicted Wound. 
Looks good against G/W Megamorph and maybe Jeskai too. 
2 Silkwrap/Surge of Righteousness. 
Bring 'em in for the surprise factor, especially if they're not using Dromoka's Command. Maybe Surge is better thinking about it.. I'm not sure.
2 Utter End.
Deals with everything, but loses the fight to most other cards for the 4 CMC slot. Good against combo/weird stuff. 



Questions to ask myself :-

Is Kolaghan's Command better than Valorous Stance? - 3 mana vs 2 mana needs to factor in too. 
Do I need more Gideon, Ally of Zendikar? - He's damn powerful, yet I need a critical mass of Allys or this is pointless.
Is Mardu Dragons worth chasing instead? - Draconic Roar and Foul-Tongue are tempting! 
Rally the Ancestors? - Could it be a nice trump card? Probs not... But maybe?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Streets of Rage 2 and working.

State of Judging - Burnt, OUT!