2 Byes Locked in for Grand Prix Manchester! - Victory @ Brighton!

The King & Queen: A Hallowed Venue for COMP-REL events.


There's something about that location which is fantastic, it seems all my pre-big event victories come out of the same place and this weekend was no different.

Okay, the field wasn't huge and we were certainly lacking some of the more competitive players at the event but a win is a win and the field was by no means easy.

The decklist I played was as follows...

10 Mountains
4 Shivan Reef
4 Battlefield Forge
3 Foundry of the Consul
2 Ruins of Oran-Rief
2 Westvale Abbey

3 Hedron Crawler
4 Hangarback Walker
4 Vile Aggregate
4 Thopter Engineer
3 Thought-Knot Seer
3 Pia & Kiran Nalaar
4 Reality Smasher

4 Chandra, Flamecaller
2 Hedron Archive
2 Spatial Contortion
2 Roast

SB: 4 Eldrazi Obligator
SB: 3 Rending Volley
SB: 2 Warping Wail
SB: 2 Boiling Earth
SB: 1 Goldknight Castigator
SB: 1 Roast
SB: 1 Chandra's Ignition
SB: 1 Thought-Knot Seer



Ultimately this deck looks solid as a rock and could be a great competitor for GP Manchester! Seeing as the colourless thopter deck I took to GP London did absolutely nothing for me this deck could avenge me and get me into day 2. Eldrazi are definitely more consistent that 5/5 scissor artifacts and Chandra really does a lot of work! More reason to love her I guess ;)

The card I'm really not that fussed about is Pia & Kiran Nalaar, I would definitely drop them down to 2 cards and add a further Thought-Knot Seer.

Also the Ruins of Oran-Reif doesn't seem strong at all, too often the deck will have to slow down for a turn just to get value from the card. Having said that none of my games went long enough for me to see it do work.

As for the sideboard I think Goldknight Castigator isn't so much needed with a lack of control decks about. Also Rending Volley/Eldrazi Obligator do a great job against control anyway. Chandra's Ignition seems too timmy for it to be useful in a GP situation, I think I'd rather have another Roast or maybe look at something more technical for the GP, something to deal with public enemy number 1 (which we'll find out when the Pro-Tour comes!)

Warping Wail feels awesome, but in reality I'm not so sure, again we've not seen a proper control deck appear yet and I feel it has some serious game against them! It's just a shame it can't exile Jace 
and is infact awesome as it totally deals with Jace.  Maybe Fiery Impulse is good here instead though as it deals with stronger creatures?

The winning cards in order are as follows....
Chandra, Flamecaller
Thought-Knot Seer
Reality Smasher
Westvale Abbey
Vile Aggregate
Hedron Crawler.

Those are absolute must haves.


I'll probably take this deck to Game Day's and see how it handles it's self there. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Streets of Rage 2 and working.

State of Judging - Burnt, OUT!